Looking For Laminate Flooring, Parquet, Vinyl Flooring & Carpet?
Home Improvement Hardwood Flooring
The Impact of Your Floor
When you walk into someone’s home one of the first things
you notice is the floor. After all, it is the canvas on
which the home is built upon.A home with wall to wall carpet
flooring can look nice but is rarely stunning. Tile is
difficult to clean, and while it can look nice, it easily
turns to an ice like surface with the slightest bit of
moisture. Wood flooring, on the other hand, offers a
beautiful looking and long lasting solution that can be the
foundation of the design of your home.
The Truth about Flooring Types
Before getting into some of the specifics about the
different types of wood flooring, you should look at what
each type of floor covering can bring to your home. Carpet,
tile and wood are the basic three types of flooring styles
for and a quick breakdown of each follows.
Carpeting has its advantages.
· Temperature has little to no effect
· Soft for laying down and watching a movie or show
· Comfortable for bare feet
· Can stay looking new with minimal effort
Carpeting also has some significant disadvantages.
· Colors can go in and out of style
· Carpet is great at hiding dirt
· Really cleaning carpet requires specialized tools
· With pets and children stains can occur on the first day
· Heavy traffic (hallways and doorways) show wear quickly
· Repairs are very difficult
Tile offers some benefits that carpet cant.
· Offers a clean unified look throughout a home
· With minimal grouting, cleaning is simple
· Stains rarely stick around
Having experience with tile in my past, I can tell you first
hand the problems with it.
· Most types of tile become extremely slick when wet or with
· Can be very hard on bare feet
· Impossible to lay on comfortably
· If the tile design includes grout, cleaning is all but
impossible for lighter colors
· Sound travels through the house much easier
· Pets have difficulty gaining traction when time to play
· Young children can take a beating while they learn to walk
Obviously I’m not a huge fan of tile flooring. I lived with
it for nearly a decade and while the first few years I loved
it, once my child and puppy entered my life I started seeing
problems. Restoring the grout was a monumental task. Some
higher quality tiles, which are more porous offer some
relief from these problems, but some of my best memories as
a child were wrestling on the ground with my parents or
having tickle fights. That doesn’t work on tile.
Looking at Hardwood and the Varied Types of Flooring
To be fair when it comes to talking about hardwood flooring
we should first look at the advantages and disadvantages the
same as we did with carpet and tile.
Hardwood flooring has a number of advantages.
· Of all flooring types, hardwood flooring gives the biggest
wow factor when it comes to initial impressions
· Easy to maintain
· Simple to keep clean
· Cheap and easy to repair
· Has a long lifespan
· Variety of woods allow more customization throughout the
· Not very susceptible to temperature changes for bare feet
· Increases the value of the home
Hardwood flooring does have some disadvantages, some are
shared with tile flooring.
· Without rugs or runners throughout the house sound carries
· Without proper accompaniments (furniture, rugs, mats) it
can look cold
· Can be more expensive to install initially
· Needs to be maintained through humidity control
· You won’t hide any dust
· Susceptible to sunlight in some cases (fading)
· Furniture needs to have soft feet covers to prevent
With all of that said, the disadvantages may be of a concern
– especially the humidity control. It should be noted that
it requires a pretty significate change in humidity to have
any impact on the flooring. What we find comfortable is
generally perfectly acceptable for a hardwood. While the
flooring is harder than carpet, it is generally easier on
the feet than tile, but still a bit too hard to roll around
on the floor with kids or pets.
Styles of Hardwood Flooring
One of the biggest draws to hardwood flooring is just how
customizable it is. With a number of different styles of
flooring and materials that are used, you are sure to find a
perfect fit for your dream home. The styles vary a great
deal in both appearance, use and cost.
· Laminate Flooring is the most cost effective choice
as it is more eco-friendly and much easier to maintain than
most other options. On the other hand it does look like
laminate flooring which is a deal breaker for some.
· Parquet Flooring is, literally, a patterned floor.
With two types of parquet floors available (solid and
panels) there is plenty of customization available for this
type of hardwood. It is particular popular in residences
because of its durability and lesser cost. It also give you
flexibility to design something a little more unique as far
as your floor design goes.
· Timber Decking is one of the more beautiful options
as it comes in a range of colors and species which allow you
to fully customize how it works with your particular home
design. It is also very good at preventing germs and
bacteria from breeding. You will need to design and plan the
layout of your home before the install though, which an
experienced flooring install team will be able to help you
with. Be careful of direct sunlight as it can really fade
the wood quickly.
· Wood Flooring is another eco-friendly option which
is made from sustainable resources. The best choice for
those with allergies and possibly the most beautiful option.
It is generally a neutral choice which should fit with any
home design and is extremely durable.
With any flooring choice you make, expect a slightly higher
install cost than traditional carpet. This is quickly offset
as the flooring is longer lasting and easy to maintain. Set
a scheduled time of the year for a professional polishing
service to come out and maintain the floor and you will see
why this has become such a popular choice for home owners.
Making the Choice that is Right for You
One of the benefits to owning a home is that it is your
home. There is not a single option that is perfect for every
individual. While we hope that you find our hardwood
flooring options the ideal choice, you should make sure to
do the research to decide what will best make your home feel
like you want. Now that you have plenty information about
the different types of flooring available, you are well on
your way to making an educated decision that is just perfect
for your own desires.