There are many options available when you are looking for flooring for your restaurant. The most popular choices include carpet, laminate flooring, ceramic tile flooring and prefinished hardwood flooring. It is very important to know the pros and cons of each of these different types of flooring so that you can make an informed choice when you want to install a new type of flooring in your restaurant. Here are the pros and cons of each of these different types of flooring;
– The pros of carpet
1. It helps to make a room warmer. When you install a carpet in your restaurant, it will feel so much warmer than it was before.
2. It feels easy on the feet. This is because of the soft carpet fibbers.
3. There are so many colours and styles that you can choose from. You can find any colour of carpet you want. Therefore, if you are looking for flooring that will blend well with your restaurant’s interior décor, you should install a carpet colour that matches your restaurant’s look.
4. It is slip resistant. It is not easy to slip while you are walking on a carpet.
5. Carpet is affordable. It is not very expensive to install carpet in your restaurant compared to some types of flooring
– The cons of carpet
1. It is more appropriate for restaurants that are located in places with drier climate.
2. Carpets collect dirt and moisture which can turn into mildew in the long run. Moisture can also lead to mould problems.
3. It is not easy to clean. You will have to use more effort to clean the carpet in your restaurant compared to the effort used to clean other types of flooring.
4. Wall to wall carpeting may not be appropriate for people who suffer from allergies. This is because carpets can hold allergy triggers within their fibbers.
– The pros of laminate flooring
1. They are durable. Once installed, you can be sure that your laminate floor will serve you for very many years.
2. It is easy to maintain. You will not have to do much to maintain the laminate flooring installed in your restaurant.
3. It is available in a wide range of colours and designs. You will not miss a colour that matches the style you want for your restaurant.
4. Can be installed easily over old flooring. It is easy to install laminate flooring over other types of flooring.
5. It is affordable compared to other types of flooring that can be used in a restaurant.
6. It is a good choice for areas that are damp. Therefore, if there are some areas in your restaurant that are mostly damp, laminate flooring suite these areas best.
7. It is easy to install. It will take a very short time to have laminate flooring installed in your restaurant.
8. Can be quiet when it is placed with an underlayment.
– The cons of laminate flooring
1. Cannot be repaired if damaged. You will have to reinstall the flooring if you want it to look perfect again.
2. Some types of laminate flooring can be expensive.
– The pros of ceramic tiles
1. A huge selection of colours is available. You will definitely not miss the colour that you want for your restaurant.
2. There are many different shapes, patterns and sizes.
3. They are durable. Once you have them installed in your restaurant, you can be sure that they are going to serve you for very many years
4. Glazed tiles are stain resistant and moisture resistant. The glazed tiles can also help to enhance the look of your restaurant to make it look better than it would look if the normal ceramic tiles were used.
5. They are easy to maintain. You will not have to do much to maintain the ceramic tiles installed in your restaurant.
6. Mosaic tiles can be used on surfaces that are uneven. Therefore, if you have an uneven surface in your restaurant, you can use mosaic ceramic tiles.
7. They are not as expensive as the other types of flooring.
– The cons of ceramic tiles
1. They are hard and cold to the feet.
2. They can chip or crack. The damage can be so difficult to repair.
3. Glossy finishes can be very slippery when wet. You will have to warn your customers about the slippery floor to prevent accidents.
4. The tiles can discolour when used for a long time. If you want to keep your restaurant looking good, you will have to replace them when they discolours.
Prefinished hardwood flooring
– The pros of prefinished hardwood flooring
1. It is warm and soft to the feet.
2. It is fairly durable. This type of flooring can last for a long time if properly installed, sealed and maintained. You should create a routine for carrying out the maintenance tasks.
3. It can be refinished. If you feel that your prefinished wood flooring has lost its looks, you can refinish it to make it look as good as it was when it was newly installed.
4. There are many hardwood types to choose from. You can choose any hardwood type that you feel suits you best.
5. Can be stained or painted to provide more colour options. This gives you the power to customize the look of your restaurant.
– The cons of prefinished hardwood flooring
1. It can easily be damaged by water. Any water spills must be cleaned immediately to prevent damage.
2. It is expensive to install. It is one of the most expensive types of flooring that you can decide to install in your restaurant.
3. It darkens as it gets older.
4. It is harder to keep clean. It is more challenging to keep prefinished wood flooring clean than other types of flooring such as laminate and ceramic tiles.
Each type of flooring has its benefits and shortcomings. What do you want your restaurant to look like? This should be your guiding factor when looking for flooring for your restaurant. Take your time to select a flooring type that you feel will suit your restaurant best and that matches your tastes and preferences. Have the type of flooring that has been chosen installed by professional.