What Is The Best
Type Of Flooring For Restaurant?
There are many options available when you are looking for
flooring for your restaurant. The most popular choices
include carpet, laminate flooring, ceramic tile flooring and
prefinished hardwood flooring. It is very important to know
the pros and cons of each of these different types of
flooring so that you can make an informed choice when you
want to install a new type of flooring in your restaurant.
Here are the pros and cons of each of these different types
The pros of carpet
1. It helps to make a room warmer. When you install a carpet
in your restaurant, it will feel so much warmer than it was
2. It feels easy on the feet. This is because of the soft
3. There are so many colours and styles that you can choose
from. You can find any colour of carpet you want. Therefore,
if you are looking for flooring that will blend well with
your restaurant’s interior décor, you should install a
carpet colour that matches your restaurant’s look.
4. It is slip resistant. It is not easy to slip while you
are walking on a carpet.
5. Carpet is affordable. It is not very expensive to install
carpet in your restaurant compared to some types of flooring
The cons of carpet
1. It is more appropriate for restaurants that are located
in places with drier climate.
2. Carpets collect dirt and moisture which can turn into
mildew in the long run. Moisture can also lead to mould
3. It is not easy to clean. You will have to use more effort
to clean the carpet in your restaurant compared to the
effort used to clean other types of flooring.
4. Wall to wall carpeting may not be appropriate for people
who suffer from allergies. This is because carpets can hold
allergy triggers within their fibbers.
The pros of laminate flooring
1. They are durable. Once installed, you can be sure that
your laminate floor will serve you for very many years.
2. It is easy to maintain. You will not have to do much to
maintain the laminate flooring installed in your restaurant.
3. It is available in a wide range of colours and designs.
You will not miss a colour that matches the style you want
for your restaurant.
4. Can be installed easily over old flooring. It is easy to
install laminate flooring over other types of flooring.
5. It is affordable compared to other types of flooring that
can be used in a restaurant.
6. It is a good choice for areas that are damp. Therefore,
if there are some areas in your restaurant that are mostly
damp, laminate flooring suite these areas best.
7. It is easy to install. It will take a very short time to
have laminate flooring installed in your restaurant.
8. Can be quiet when it is placed with an underlayment.
The cons of laminate flooring
1. Cannot be repaired if damaged. You will have to reinstall
the flooring if you want it to look perfect again.
2. Some types of laminate flooring can be expensive.
The pros of ceramic tiles
1. A huge selection of colours is available. You will
definitely not miss the colour that you want for your
2. There are many different shapes, patterns and sizes.
3. They are durable. Once you have them installed in your
restaurant, you can be sure that they are going to serve you
for very many years
4. Glazed tiles are stain resistant and moisture resistant.
The glazed tiles can also help to enhance the look of your
restaurant to make it look better than it would look if the
normal ceramic tiles were used.
5. They are easy to maintain. You will not have to do much
to maintain the ceramic tiles installed in your restaurant.
6. Mosaic tiles can be used on surfaces that are uneven.
Therefore, if you have an uneven surface in your restaurant,
you can use mosaic ceramic tiles.
7. They are not as expensive as the other types of flooring.
The cons of ceramic tiles
1. They are hard and cold to the feet.
2. They can chip or crack. The damage can be so difficult to
3. Glossy finishes can be very slippery when wet. You will
have to warn your customers about the slippery floor to
4. The tiles can discolour when used for a long time. If you
want to keep your restaurant looking good, you will have to
replace them when they discolours.
Prefinished hardwood flooring
The pros of prefinished hardwood flooring
1. It is warm and soft to the feet.
2. It is fairly durable. This type of flooring can last for
a long time if properly installed, sealed and maintained.
You should create a routine for carrying out the maintenance
3. It can be refinished. If you feel that your prefinished
wood flooring has lost its looks, you can refinish it to
make it look as good as it was when it was newly installed.
4. There are many hardwood types to choose from. You can
choose any hardwood type that you feel suits you best.
5. Can be stained or painted to provide more colour options.
This gives you the power to customize the look of your
The cons of prefinished hardwood flooring
1. It can easily be damaged by water. Any water spills must
be cleaned immediately to prevent damage.
2. It is expensive to install. It is one of the most
expensive types of flooring that you can decide to install
in your restaurant.
3. It darkens as it gets older.
4. It is harder to keep clean. It is more challenging to
keep prefinished wood flooring clean than other types of
flooring such as laminate and ceramic tiles.
Each type of flooring has its benefits and shortcomings.
What do you want your restaurant to look like? This should
be your guiding factor when looking for flooring for your
restaurant. Take your time to select a flooring type that you
feel will suit your restaurant best and that matches your
tastes and preferences. Have the type of flooring that has
been chosen installed by professional.
Singapore Wooden Flooring & Laminated
Singapore Laminate Flooring, Parquet &
Wood Flooring Specialists